Watch below to find out what rights you need to clear when using music in films, videos or TV productions.
How can I search for music?
To find a track, simply enter strings of words or adjectives into the Quick Search box in the top left hand corner of the site. We recommend using the MIST acronym.
- Mood - dark, light, warm
- Instrument - synth, drums, strings
- Style - orchestral, electro, rock
- Tempo - slow, fast, driving
Using this method, your search term might be 'fast optimistic indie rock' or 'slow sad orchestral cello'.
How can I browse music?
You can browse music in several ways:
- Musical styles: these our most popular styles and moods
- Mood/emotion: describes the feel of the track - for example, sad, happy or panoramic
- Instrumentation: lets you choose by instrument, percussion or vocal style
- Production genre: covers everything from comedy to sport
- Album listing: you can find all of the tracks from one album
- Artist and composer: listen to new tracks or old favourites from your favourite composers and artists.
How do I perform an advanced search?
By combining the points above in the Advanced Search, you can mix categories and keywords at the same time. You can even refine your search for tracks in particular keys or tempos, as well as a number of other parameters.
If you want to match a specific track use the beat calculator, next to the music player, which will tell you the tempo of your original track - then use the Advanced Search to find all tracks in the same style and at the same speed.
How do I download music I’ve purchased?
Once you have purchased a track you can log in to your online account and download it by following these steps:
- Go to your account page, and click on the ‘orders’ button
- Click on the view arrow on the right of the order you wish to download
- Choose either to download tracks individually by clicking on the WAV or MP3 icon, or all together by using the tickboxes
How can I download several files at a time?
To download all or several files at a time, check the boxes on the relevant tracks and then click on ‘download selected files as zip’ at the bottom of the list. There are select all/deselect all MP3 and select all/deselect all WAV buttons at the bottom to help.
WAV files are quite large – typically 30-40mb each – so it’s not ideal to zip more than three or four of these together at a time. Most broadband connections seem to have an undefined download limit, and in our experience attempting to download more than 200mb of data in one go will just result in a blank screen.
Can I only download the music file once?
No. Once you’ve paid for a sound file it stays in your account permanently and you can download as many times as you need.
How can I download music from a project?
If you’re a member and have access to projects, you can download music from them in two ways: One by one - by clicking the WAV or MP3 icon Packaged as a zip file - by selecting multiple files and using the file download format action from the drop down box at the bottom of the page.
How do I add music to a project?
Before you start, make sure you're logged in. Once you've found a track you like, click the Add to Project icon. You'll be asked whether you want to add the file to a new project or an existing one.
How do I share a project?
When creating a new project you can choose to only include yourself in the 'participants', or share the project with everyone in your company.
If you wish to share the project with specific people, simply click 'Edit Project Info' on the project sound file listing page, then select or deselect users.
You can also edit the project name and description here.
How do I download music from a project?
Once you have created a new project or added your file to an existing one, you are taken to the project file listing page.
You can then download your sound files in one of two ways:
- One by one - by clicking the icons
- Packaged as a zip file - by selecting multiple files and using the file download format action from the drop down box at the bottom of the page